Monday, April 09, 2007

NOTES: Returning Home to Play

Limited playing time on road
By Beth Sass / hereforthesass.blogspot.com


MINNEAPOLIS -- The Here for the Sass team faced some cold outdoor weather on their short road trip, which limited the playing time of some Sassians, due to their affiliations with major league teams.

"Each year, it's a struggle to know which players are available based on the limitations we're given by their MLB affiliate," Manager Beth Sass said. "Some days we end up with some odd line-ups, just to fill roles."

Sass Stadium, although technically an outdoor stadium, has the ability to change, trans-former-like, into an indoor ballpark.

"This goes beyond retractable roof," Owner Dawn Sass explained, "It's like being completely indoors. If the weather is too hot and humind--voila! Air-conditioning. If the weather is snowy--heat and shelter. It's really perfect."

Because of limited playing time, some Sassians are anxious to take the field at Sass Stadium again. Some players have been forced to sit unavailable for a couple of days, because of the weather, and are anxious to be available again.

"People think because I'm a starting pitcher, I'm used to sitting for five days," said pitcher Jeremy Sowers, "But it's hard to just sit knowing I can't play, even if they need me. "

Party time! Because of the being in fourth place in the BFB, the Sassians were delighted with the party in the clubhouse late Sunday night. Beyond the well-loved Ghetto Cub pancake cake and balloons, Dawn also brought in a special treat--brownies.

Naturally, Mrs. Guillen's cookies were delivered as usual.

"My husband might not be with the team anymore," said Mrs. Guillen, "But in my heart, I'm stilll a Sassian. And I know Carlos would love to be a Sassian again, too, if only he had not been taken by another team too early."

Games afoot: The Kids--the youngest Sassians--have taken the lead of Edwin Encarnacion and Ambiorix Burgos, and all have been bringing their Lego(tm) collections into the Sass dugout for playing.

"It's amazing how much we can do when we get all the Legos together!" said third baseman e.e. "Last year was pretty cool, but this year is even more awesome!"

Outfielder Jeff Francoeur was surprised when Ambiorix first brought up the idea.

"Last year's team never had fun stuff like this. I've been a Lego fan since childhood, so it's so much fun. You can tell that Ambiorix have been playing with Legos together for a while--when we first brought in our sets, they already had plans for what they wanted to do, and easily added to their plans when Jeremy and I brought in our sets. I can't wait! They were telling me about last year's set-ups, and it's amazing what they did!"

Quiet time also needed: Some of the older Sassians felt their age when watching the youthful exuberance of The Kids.

"It makes me tired just watching them," said outfielder Moises Alou. "I enjoy having them around, but there's no way I could keep up with their play. I'm more content to just sit back and whittle."

Moises has been teaching the Old Men some whittling techniques.

"I always thought it required a lot more talent than I had to whittle," said pitcher Darren Oliver, "But Moises has shown me some little things that really have made a difference in my skill. It's not easy, and I've got a long ways to go before I do anything really impressive, but I'm starting to make recognizable objects, so that's a plus."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home