Wednesday, April 16, 2008

NOTES: Literacy program re-activated

AAA pitcher thrilled to join the Sass
By Beth Sass / hereforthesass.blogspot.com


DETROIT - Ever since Adam Dunn left, the Sass were missing a vocal spokesperson for reading, but with the call-up of relief pitcher Justin Miller from the Vancouver Sarcastics, the Sass Literacy now has a face.

“I’ve always loved to read, ever since my mom picked read me Dr. Seuss books. I think she started reading to me when I was an infant, but obviously I don’t remember what. The first memories I have are of Mom or Dad reading Dr. Seuss to me. I absolutely could not wait until I could read myself. I started reading early, and was always in advanced reading classes.”

The Sass will have their weekly children’s book give-away, and the Sass website will feature Justin reading the book aloud to Evan Longoria. The book readings can be found in the video section of the Sass site.

“Books have opened up whole new worlds to me. They’ve been an escape after bad games, and help make those bus trips in the minors go so much quicker. I owe it all to my parents for their encouragement on reading from such a young age, I want all children to have the experience of books,” Justin said.

Mr. and Mrs. Miller could not be reached for comments; the said they’d get back as soon as they finished their respective books. Mr. Miller is reading the entire Harry Potter set, and Mrs. Miller is finishing a collection of Henry James novels.

More help for Nice With pitcher Matt Garza feeling better and starting to do some baseball related activities, Nice Coordinator Grant Balfour expressed relief that a new face is coming to Nice. Relief pitcher Joe Borowski will be heading to Nice to rest his strained triceps muscle.

“All rooms in Nice are now full,” reported Beth Sass. “We’re just hoping to make it through the next couple of weeks without further injuries.”

Third baseman Andy LaRoche has been throwing the ball, but says, “Strong or accurate throw. Pick one.” Matt Garza has begun playing catch in hopes of being back in the rotation the end of April. The Nice AA Nice Guys are looking forward to seeing both men play in rehab soon.

The entire bullpen has promised they’ll take care of Joe’s vegetable garden until he comes back.

Dancing in the Streets. It was a long route, but relief pitcher Jonathan Papelbon has longed enjoyed practicing ballet as toning and strengthening exercises, and relief pitcher Scott Downs has been taking dance classes of every kind since his mother put him in a toddler dance class at age three.

“I found dance to be relaxing and demanding at the same time. As a kid, my parents knew they’d either find me in the basement practicing dance, or outside in the yard practicing baseball. There was nothing else to me.”

Jonathan picked up dancing ballet as an exercise in high school, but has never performed. Scott and Jonathan immediately started doing workouts together.

“I’ve only had a few classes, but mostly rely on books and videos,” Jonathan said, “So it’s really nice to have Scott here to refine my movements and help me with things that just haven’t made sense.” The two workout together every day.

Joining Scott and Jonathan is Melky Cabrera. Melky and Jonathan didn’t see much of each other in Spring Training, but were assigned lockers next to each other in Minnesota and on the road.

“It was amazing. We’ve known each other two weeks, and yet, I feel like I’ve known him my entire life,” Melky said. “It was instant. We both admitted we were only planning on sticking around Sass stadium long enough to unpack our bags, but the security guys had to ask us to leave so they could lock up at midnight. We just kept talking, and time just flew right by.”

Melky is joining Jonathan and Scott in the dance workouts. “It’s tougher than I thought it would be, but it definitely helps me move better in the outfield,” Melky said, laughing.

21? Twenty-one. It’s the drinking age. It’s the desired score in blackjack. And, as of Wednesday morning, it was the Sass ERA for the week.

Beth just whimpered.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home