Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Notes: Now fighting over #5

Outfielders share a number
By Beth Sass / hereforthesass.blogspot.com


MINNEAPOLIS -- Monday evening, just before game time, outfielder Michael Cuddyer grabbed jersey number 5 and put it on. During the game, Cuddyer noticed outfielder Rocco Baldelli's jersey said "Michael" and had the number 5. Michael immediately asked Rocco what the deal was, which Rocco looked on him in confusion. Catcher A.J. Pierzynski pointed out that Michael was wearing a jersey with "Rocco" written across the back. Both men discovered simultaneously that both had been issued the number 5 jersey. They immediately took it to Clubhouse Manager (temporary) Kat. Kat was mystified as well, and the issue was brought to the manager’s office.

Beth seemed completely unfazed when told that both men were issued the number 5, but soon realized her error.

“None of those three was around opening day. Rocco was on the DL, Michael was with another team, and Kat had not been hired yet,” Beth said. Opening day, third baseman Edwin Encarnacion and A.J. Pierzynski both realized that they shared the number 12. After a quick discussion at the time, it was decided that there was no reason that both men couldn’t wear the same number. Despite the seeming revolving door to the clubhouse, what with demotions and injuries, the Sass had not run into that problem since.

“Well, Braden Looper and Randy Johnson both wore number 41, but Johnson never paid attention to the other teammates unless they came in his path. We kept Loopy in the bullpen and Johnson never noticed. Loopy knew what was going on, and was very stealthy once he got the uniform on. I think it was a game for him,” Beth said.

Psychic powers at work: In his daily phone call with Dawn, catcher A.J. Pierzynski declared he would hit a home run for her Monday night. A.J. had only two home runs in 196 at-bats previous to Monday night.

“Dawn’s had a pretty rough year. It has to be stressful being the manager of a team and trying to run the team from afar,” A.J. said. “I wanted to do something nice for her.”

However, in the eighth inning, well past Dawn’s bedtime in Nice, A.J. made good on his promise, and belted a home run over the right field wall. After the game and post-game shows were over, A.J. got a call--Dawn was already awake, with the time difference it was morning in Nice.

“It was so awesome to get up this morning and check my e-mail. I had no less than ten people who had e-mailed me to tell me about A.J.’s home run. Nick [manager of Mockball Madness] called me not long after I woke up, too,” Dawn said. “I’m proud of A.J. I knew he could do it!”

Memo to starting pitching: The starting pitchers for Monday, the usual solid Kristin Benson and Aaron Harang, both posted less than stellar outings, except for their strike-outs.

“Kristin didn’t do too bad, with three runs in six innings, posting a quality start,” Beth said, “But Aaron’s four runs in five innings is completely out of character.”

Between the two of them, they did manage 13 strike-outs. Kristin got a win for his quality start, leaving Aaron had a no-decision.

“Well, that’s something,” Beth said, “But honestly, I’m getting sick of this stuff. I’m glad we’re at least getting strike-outs this week, but we really need to work on getting a better team ERA and WHIP. I think if those go down, we’ll see our wins, and thus our holds, and possibly saves, go up.”

With that, Beth handed new-comer to the Sass reliever Jon Rauch a gold star for his two innings of scoreless work.

“He didn’t have a strike-out, but he posted a 0.00 ERA, and a 0.50 WHIP,” Beth said.

Jon was quite pleased. “It’s my first pitching performance for the Sass, and I’m handed a gold star for just doing my job. That’s pretty cool. I like it here. This is a great group of guys. I’m sorry that the Sass had to lose their third baseman to get me here, but I’ll admit I’m thankful it gave me an opportunity to pitch here. I’ll have to send e.e. a box of Legos in thanks.”

Dawn is in agreement. “I know Beth is trying hard there, but it’s frustrating for me to watch these games, and watch our pitching do so poorly. Something has to be done. I want to come back in August to a great team, not one that just puts in a half-hearted effort.”

Tonight: Tonight, Chan Ho Park will take the mound. Beth and Dawn are both scared to watch. Beth plans on being at the Metrodome to watch the Twins versus Red Sox game. She’ll consider keeping track of the score of the Sass-Wombats game, but she’ll probably not pay attention, what with the exciting Johan Santana-Curt Schilling match-up. Dawn has an appointment with the masseuse at the time of the start of the game, and plans on going into the hot tub immediately after.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home